Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google: We Show Original Date Or Last Modified Date In Search Results Snippet
Google’s John Mueller said in a webmaster hangout video that Google can show either the original published date or the last modified date of URL in their search results snippets. He said they are flexible about these dates and if the content substantially changed, they may use the last modified date as opposed to the first published date.
- Google: Zero Search Results Was A Glitch
Back in March, Google tested showing zero search results with just the answer for specific queries for about ten days. Google was caught testing it again yesterday but Google said it was just a glitch and was not the zero results feature from back in March.
- Google Canada Caught With Paid Link For Non-Profit Contribution
Google has been caught buying or paying for links before but doesn’t always take action against themselves when caught. Google’s John Mueller just talked about giving charity and getting a link and then shortly after Tad showed how Google Canada donated $20,000 and got a link on OpenMedia.
- Google My Business Adds Localized Business Names
I am told this isn’t exactly new, but I don’t think I’ve covered this before. Google My Business now lets you edit the localized version of the business name. Craig Harkins shared a screen shot on Twitter of Google My Business letting him edit the McDonalds location and also enter in the Russian version of the name.
- Google May Remove Sites Blocking Users Over GDPR From Search?
As you know, when GDPR, the European law about data privacy regulations across the web, went live – some sites simply decided to block any European visitor from visiting their web site. This results in some searchers seeing content from these sites but when clicking over to the web site being told by the web site that they cannot view the content because of GDPR.
- Action Video: Going Down The Google Slide
We have many pictures of the Google slides from various offices but here is a video of a Googler named Erin Bennett going down the slide. She captured the whole thing from top to bottom. I don’t thin
- Daily Search Forum Recap: September 12, 2018
Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web…
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Google, Facebook, Twitter face EU fines over extremist posts, WebmasterWorld
- Title tags are how you can easily present yourself in search – use them to your advantage, they’re free!â¦, John Mueller on Twitter
- Google Maps Platform New Billing Changes, WebmasterWorld
- Google: How Chrome Displays URL or Identity To Change, WebmasterWorld
- We’ve moved Google Partners features to Google Ads for a more integrated and stable experience. Check out their new home » https://t.co/F1LsCXCFIZâ¦ https://t.co/tkfPg08oL7, Google Partners on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
- Global Web Analytics Software Report on and United States Market Product Scope, Key Players,Trends, Growth Rate, Outlook, Challenge, Risk and forecast to 2017-2022, Our Market Research
Industry & Business
- LEAKED VIDEO: Google Leadership’s Dismayed Reaction to Trump Election, Breitbart
- Brave browser files GDPR breach complaints against Google in the EU, ZDNet
- Larry Page Is a No-Show With Google Under a Harsh Spotlight, Bloomberg
Links & Promotion Building
Local & Maps
- Google Street View rival Mapillary collaborates with Amazon to read text in its 350M image database, TechCrunch
Mobile & Voice
- Amazon Maintains Smart Speaker Market Share Lead, Apple Rises Slightly to 4.5%, Voicebot
- Google Assistant routines now working again for third-party smart speakers, XDA Developers
- OK, How can I Rank for Voice Search #LearnInbound, SlideShare
- Does Google Have a Date Problem? Of Course They Do. Here’s Proof, Bill Hartzer
- Google PageRank is NOT Dead: Why It Still Matters in 2018, ahrefs.com
- How To Increase Your YouTube Video’s Ranking Power For Your Brand, KobeDigital
- The Game of Cat and Mouse – Has Google Become Better at Fighting Webspam?, SISTRIX
- Search marketing insights for holidays 2018, Bing Ads Blog
- 3 Ways PPC and SEO Teams Can Collaborate, Vertical Measures
- Driving Better Performance Through SEM & Display Collaborations, Merkle
- Find Out If You’re Impacted by Google’s Changes to Exact Match, Search Engine Journal