Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Bug: Google Knowledge Panel Image Goes Missing
It looks like there is a recent bug with the Google knowledge panel images that some are actually missing. It was working fine a couple of hours ago, but right now, the images for many are simply blank. I assume it will be fixed soon.
- Is Google’s PageRank Algorithm Still Important For Google Search Rankings?
Long gone are the times of monthly Google PageRank updates, Google dances, and checking Google data centers – and to be honest, I somewhat miss those days. But the question I see asked a lot is how much have things changed? The answer is a lot has changed but fundamentally nothing has changed.
- Amazing Interview With Matt Cutts About Google, Spam & The Community
Anyone who reads here knows I have a deep appreciation for Matt Cutts so when I saw Brian McCullough published his interview with Matt, I got excited (hence why I am slow to post this morning on this site). In any event, I listed to the hour-plus interview and it was simply amazing. They went through the early days at Google, when Matt first discovered spam on Google and so much more.
- Google Redesigns Hotel Search Results After Lots Of Testing
Google has finally pushed a new design out for the hotel search results. This comes after so many tests over the past year or so. Sergey Alakov is on top of many of these changes and he was the first to spot it and post it on his blog.
- The Google Home Page Now Has Discover Feed
One day you will be able to tell your grandchildren that you remember when Google’s home page was simply just a search box and nothing more. Those days are long gone with the introduction of the Google Discover feed now showing up below the Google search box on mobile.
- Google Shows Two Featured Snippets For One Query
Some folks are noticing that Google is showing two featured snippets for a single query. It is not the multifaceted featured snippets from earlier this year where Google would show you variations of featured snippets based on multiple ways to understand the query. But instead, showing two featured snippets for one way to understand the query.
- Google Halloween – Error 404 – Costume Not Found
Halloween is around the corner and Google is getting into the fun. Here is a picture from Yulia Chalyk from the Google Dublin office at a Google Halloween party wearing an awesome shirt. It says err
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Ha! So @louisgray did you know that if you erroneously put in incorrect compare dates, @googleanalytics let’s you see into the future? Pretty awesome surprise! 2020! https://t.co/QGslqdXhOL” / Twitter, Alan Bleiweiss on Twitter
- Hey makers of the web! I’m doing another in-person (& live) Google Webmaster-Central office hours hangout in Mountain View, CA next Tuesday. If you’re based nearby and would like to join in person, please drop me a note here! h, John Mueller on Twitter
- Google Alphabet Q3, 2018 Revenue Up 21pct to $33.7billion, WebmasterWorld
- Google Maps Adds “Follow” and Early Notification of New Openings, WebmasterWorld
- IBM to Acquire Red Hat for $33.4 Billion, WebmasterWorld
- The Google Story with Matt Cutts @mattcutts, Internet History Podcast
Search Engine Land Stories:
- Drive SEO results with artificial intelligence
- Expert testing strategies for both low and high volume PPC accounts
- Google launches new design for hotel search results
- Google.com mobile home page no longer just a search box, now shows Google Discover feed
- Tips to be more productive in Google Ads, Bing Ads interfaces
- Bing’s ‘Quest for Intelligent Search’ at SMX East
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
- Google shelves plans to open campus in Berlin Kreuzberg, The Local
- Yandex Announces Third Quarter 2018 Financial Results, Yandex
Links & Promotion Building
- Building Links with Great Content – Natural Syndication Networks, Moz
- Links and the Medic Update, SISTRIX
Local & Maps
- Google Maps has an option for manual dark mode in navigation, XDA Developers
- Google Maps introduces incident reporting for Australian users, TechRadar
Mobile & Voice
- Google updates Firebase with enterprise-grade support, ML Kit Face Contours, Management API, and more, VentureBeat
- Voice Personas for Digital Marketing, Stone Temple
- Tech SEO: Conflicting Signals Can Cause Issues, Bill Hartzer
- 8 of the Best SEO Project Management Tools, Search Engine Journal
- 10 Tips for Finding a Focus Keyword That Really Works for Your SEO, Search Engine Guide
- 3 SEO Split Tests You Should Try, Distilled
- Best SEO Specialist: You Can Vote Now!, serpstat.com
- Coming soon: brand-new Site structure training!, Yoast
- How to Write Category Copy For SEO, UX & Conversions, Adam Riemer
- Microsoft removes fake Bing ad that looked like a Chrome download site, ZDNet
- Bing Listens: Your feedback has reshaped Bing Ads, Bing Ads Blog
- How Google Decides Which Ads to Show, PPC Hero