Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google Medic Update Complete But We Are Seeing New Search Fluctuations
Google has confirmed that the Google core algorithm update that we named the Medic Update is now fully rolled out. But the SEO community noticed a lot of fluctuations and ranking changes yesterday as well.
- Google Search Console Shows How Slow Google Can Process Changes
Google can take a really long time to validate your fixes you make in the new Google Search Console. Here is an example of it taking 90 days, almost three months to validate a fix.
- Google URL Removal Tool Does Not Stop Crawling; It Hides The URL In Search
Did you know that when you use the Google URL removal tool that it doesn’t stop Google from crawling that URL? All it does is hide the URL from the search results.
- Google My Business Menu & Services Editing Now Globally Available
If you are on Google My Business and you have a menu or service offering that you want to keep updated in your Google Maps listing, you can now do that in any language and any country. Google announced it is now available globally.
- Google Medic Update: What You Can Do To Fix Your Rankings
Are you looking for things you can change to “fix” your web site in the Google search results. While Google says there is nothing you can do, some SEOs are suggesting otherwise. Here is some data for an SEO tool provider showing you next steps.
- Google Honors Mary G. Ross, First American Indian Female Engineer
On the home page on Google.com in the United States is a special Google logo, Doodle, for Mary G. Ross. Mary Ross was the first Native American female engineer. She was most well known for her work on interplanetary space travel, manned and unmanned earth-orbiting flights, and orbiting satellites.
- Google India Wall Of Soda Cans
Here is a photo from the Google India office, where you can see someone stacked up tons of soda cans as wall art. Litka shared the photo on Instagram and wrote “colors and too much of it!”
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- With 3D Globe Mode on Google Maps desktop, Greenland’s projection is no longer the size of Africa. Just zoom all the way out at https://t.co/mIZTya01K3 ððâ¦ https://t.co/z9FUrFRlVL, Google Maps on Twitter
- We don’t use rel=canonical http headers for images, so if you don’t want them indexed, either use x-robots-tag or block by robots.txt (sometimes it’s easy if there’s a clear URL pattern).â¦ https://t.co/tcDgkGKhhT, John Mueller on Twitter
- We never used it, people often copy and pasted these from other sites, making them a bit useless.â¦, John Mueller on Twitter
- Last week we spent a wonderful day with @jumpingknee in the Demilitarized Zone between South and North Korea. Wanna know more about the most dangerous border in the world? Follow us along on our visual journey at https:/, Gary Illyes on Twitter
- One advantage of subdirectories is SC verification. No need to track that separately, you see all the cool stats, and get notified when your blog gets hacked again.â¦ https://t.co/scsPdjC58c, John Mueller on Twitter
- According to the documentation, anything that starts with âOK Googleâ is a voice search. https://t.co/H7BF9uQecv I agree that how more savvy people (& SEOS) understand what is âa searchâ might be much more nuanced.â¦ http, Pedro Dias on Twitter
- Beware false idols. People may get more subscribers, followers, or clients when they claim they know what a core update was about. Except what impacts 1 site is NOT guaranteed to be what impacts all sites in a core update., Alan Bleiweiss on Twitter
- Disqus Bans Infowars from Comments Platform Amid Big Tech Purge, WebmasterWorld
- Ranking with an address outside of town?, Local Search Forum
- Use the new optimization score, found on the Recommendations page, to guide your account optimizations. Learn more: https://t.co/fDcwKG9FL6â¦ https://t.co/rWmfyDV4Q9, Google Ads on Twitter
- We don’t have cache for every single page, so that’s normal. It doesn’t affect anything thoughâ¦, Gary Illyes on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
- Google extends added character benefits of Responsive Search Ads to text ads
- Googleâs Aug. 1 core algorithm update: Who did it impact, and how much?
- Report: Google building China search query âblacklistâ with aid of 265.com
- How to defend yourself against an ongoing negative SEO campaign â” Part 4
- 5 local SEO myths and misconceptions that Will. Not. Die.
- First American Indian female engineer Mary G. Ross gets a Google logo
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
- Yelp Shares Surge on Ad Business Growth, Wall Street Journal
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
- Hey Google, whatâs the news?, Google Blog
- Voice Search and Voice Interaction: Navigating the Changing Landscape, Stone Temple
- Rewriting the Beginner’s Guide to SEO, Chapter 4: On-Page Optimization, Moz
- Google’s August 1st Core Update: Week 1, Moz
- Googleâs August algorithm update strengthens as roll-out continues., SISTRIX
- Popular Websites that May Fail in Mobile First Indexing, Elephate
- SEO Cost Calculator: How Much Should You Budget for SEO Services?, Search Engine Journal
- The August 1, 2018 Google Algorithm Update – Analysis and Findings From The Medic Update, GSQI
- SearchResearch Challenge (8/8/18): How to find difficult to find web pages? (Part 1), SearchReSearch
- ‘Impostors’ Manipulate Google With Fake Takedown Request, TorrentFreak