Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google Medic Update: Google’s Core Search Update Had Big Impact On Health/Medical Sites
The big core Google search algorithm update is being named the Google Medic Update. The reason for this name is because it seemed to be heavily targeting the health and medical space based on our survey data.
- Banned From Google Event Markup? You Can Now Submit A Reevaluation Request.
Google is now letting those who were banned from showing event rich snippets in search submit a reevaluation request. This will then be reviewed by Google and if accepted, may let you show up again for event rich snippets.
- Google Cache Date Is Last Indexed Or Reindexed
Google has confirmed the date shown in the Google Cache is the date Google last indexed or reindexed a specific page. It is not the date GoogleBot last crawled the page.
- Don’t Let The “Google Search Update” Notice In Search Console Confuse You
Yesterday I reported about the index status report update in the Google Search Console reporting tools. I mentioned how Google added a note to the report that says “Google Search Update: An event has occurred in Google Search that might affect your site’s data…
- Reminder: Google Mobile First Indexing Notifications Are Delayed
Google issues a reminder that when you already received the Google mobile first indexing notification from Google Search Console – your site has already been switched over a while ago. The notifications are sent well after you have been switched over.
- Internet Explorer Logo Made Up Of PostIt Notes In Google Office
This is a funny one, you can see in the Google London office that someone used PostIt notes to make a Microsoft Internet Explorer logo right next to the Google G logo for all to see. Jake Heslop poste
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- For actionable speed insights you need more than one average score, and you need to be able to analyse more than one URL at a time. There are loads of metrics in Chrome if you can access them, including First Paint, First Con, Rachel Costello on Twitter
- Linda gets Suspended by Google, Local Search Forum
- Make sure you make the updates outlined to keep conversion tracking working across all browsers. Learn more today: https://t.co/F9AdtaoteWâ¦ https://t.co/zYPr32MQaK, Bing Ads on Twitter
- URL: I’m redirecting to this other page Caffeine: ok, I’ll update the canonical URL: actually, I wanna redirect to this yet another page. Caffeine: umm, ok. Updated the canonical. URL: or this other one? Caffeine: [screw, Gary Illyes on Twitter
- Baidu is unfazed by Google’s potential return to China, WebmasterWorld
- It’s all automatic & it just might be that it’s no longer meeting the threshold for one to be created & trigger.â¦, Danny Sullivan on Twitter
- Local campaigns are specifically designed to help you drive more store visits and hit your offline-only performance goals â¡ https://t.co/I387O1g4qIâ¦ https://t.co/RvlliEU5nL, Google Ads on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
- Google’s August core search algorithm update is now fully rolled out
- 5,000+ Martech Tools: Whatâs a marketer to do?
- Ask an SMXpert — Advanced Technical SEO for Bing
- Structuring paid search campaigns: Segmentation vs. aggregation
- How to rev up your page speed for better website performance
- Our wake-up call to improve an industry
Other Great Search Stories:
- Google Analytics 360: Get a Bird’s Eye View with Rollup Reporting, Seer Interactive
- How to grow a small business, Google Agency Blog
Industry & Business
- Interview with Ammon Johns, SEOlium
- WordStream Turns 10! Let’s Take a Trip Down Memory Lane…, WordStream
Links & Promotion Building
- How to Use Affiliate Links the Right Way, Search Engine Journal
Local & Maps
- Comedians In Cars now writing Google Maps reviews , The Take Out
- How Google Maps Typos Grow Into Real Neighborhood Names, Mental Floss
Mobile & Voice
- Apple to lawmakers: Siri doesn’t listen until prompted, Mercury News
- Introducing the new lead for Android Open Source Project, Google Open Source Blog
- What A Shock: Marketers Don’t Like SEO!, MediaPost
- Basic (But Actionable!) SEO Tips for New Bloggers, Search Engine Guide
- Google Medic Update – August 1st – Traffic Stats Updated, Brian Chappell
- Google’s New Creator Reputation: Guide For Site Owners & Creators, The SEM Post
- How Has Google’s August Broad Core Algorithm Update Affected Local Business Websites?, BrightLocal
- HTTP to HTTPS Migration Guide | Do SSL Certificates Affect SEO?, Cognitive SEO
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Platforms, Q3 2018, The Forrester Wave
- SEO That Works: 3 Actionable SEO Techniques You Need to Try, Search Engine Guide
- Tech Bound #41: How UBER scales SEO, Kevin Indig
- The State of Google Images and Visual Search, State of Digital
- With More Than 200 Ranking Factors, Which Ones Truly Matter?, Search Engine Guide