Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google Search Algorithm August 1st Update Rolling Out Now; Might Be A Big One
Google may have done a large algorithm update, impacting the search results. The SEO community is currently chatting about the results and bracing for the impact on business. Were you impacted?
- Google Datasets Schema Now Live In Search Results
Google launched datasets schema in the search results, which now enables them to show pretty charts and tables of data right in the Google snippets. I thought this launched a few years ago, more on that in the story.
- Google Posts Insights Announced
Google Posts has announced new insights, or analytics, to see how well your Google Posts are doing in search and Google Maps. The insights provide data on an individual post, a week of posts and a month of posts.
- Google Tests Image Icons In Related Searches
Google is testing showing image icons in the related search box. They look like the expandable featured snippets but again, within the related search box.
- Google Search Adds Deep Breathing Meditation Exercises; Maybe For SEOs?
Google has quietly launched a new search box answer for searches like deep breathing, breathing exercise and more. It asks you to take a minute and concentrate on your breathing.
- Dog Using A Google Ball Pit
Here is a photo of a dog using a ball pit at a Google office. We actually have a photo of this ball pit sofa from a few years ago from the Google London office. I guess dogs are allowed in the ball
- Gerda Taro, German Born & Jewish War Photographer Get A Google Doodle
Google is honoring Gerda Taro on her would be 108th birthday with a doodle. She was a German war photographer, regarded as the first female photojournalist to cover the front lines of a war and to die while doing so.
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- DeepCrawl is hiring someone to work with @_JHoff which is bound to be a wicked fun role. We are looking for an Online Community Manager with great people skills who is detail & goal-oriented. https://t.co/27nybwmIvP, Ashley on Twitter
- Facebook to Stop Showing Ads Based on Partner Categories Globally by October 1, 2018, WebmasterWorld
- Turning down the oldest versions of Google Earth, Google Maps Help
Search Engine Land Stories:
- The ultimate guide to using Bing Webmaster Tools — Part 1
- Google confirms broad search algorithm update is rolling out
- Survey: SEO rated the ‘least popular digital marketing channel’
- Rebranding your local business? Donât start without reading these tips
- Google Post Insights shows you how well your Google Posts are performing
- Gerda Taro, first female war photographer, featured in film Google doodle
- Merkle: Search ad spending growth slowed again across Google, Bing & Yahoo in Q2 2018
Other Great Search Stories:
- How Google Analytics Cross Device Reports Improve Attribution and Sales Analysis, CMS Wire
- Ultimate Guide to Using a Google Analytics Test View, Online Metrics
Industry & Business
- Building a new data center in Singapore, Google Blog
- China Baidu’s second quarter exceeds expectations, powered by ad sales growth, Reuters
- Google Plans to Launch Censored Search Engine in China, Leaked Documents Reveal, theintercept.com
- Top Five MozCon 2018 Lessons, Smokehouse SEO
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
- The influence of voice search on featured snippets, STAT Search Analytics
- Hands on: Lenovo’s Google-enabled, iPhone-connected 8-inch Smart Display, appleinsider.com
- Smartphone Rankings Shaken Up Once Again as Huawei Surpasses Apple, Moving into Second Position While Overall Market Declined 1.8% in Q2 2018, According to IDC, IDC
- 4 Google Ads Features Agencies Should Prepare For, WordStream
- Leveraging On PPC For Your Startup To See Success, KobeDigital
- Remarketing exclusions in Bing Ads Editor, Bing Ads Blog
- Digital Reputation Trends – 2018, Five Blocks
- Hot searches for summer entertainment, Google Blog
- Turning conversations into sales, Google Agency Blog