Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google Local Panel Can Show Fax Number
Does your business still have a fax number? I’ll be honest, I spend about $10 per month to have one and I use it maybe once every several months. Did you know Google can list the fax number in your local knowledge panel? They can. Here is one for one law firm that must use their fax often?
- Most SEOs Say Redirect, Not 404, When Pruning Old Content
Cyrus Shepard posted a poll on Twitter asking SEOs what is better to do when pruning old content, to 301 redirect or 404 the page. That is if the page cannot be updated to have better content, what do you do? Either (a) Noindex/Remove (noindex, 404, 410) or (b) 301 Redirect to a relevant, better page.
- You Want Google To Stay Stagnant & Not Improve?
As you know, Google is making efforts to update their GoogleBot to crawl the more modern web. We reported it about it last week. But that bothered at least one SEO who complained that they worked on all these workarounds and now Google is going to ditch those workaround when this new GoogleBot goes live.
- Google Showing Previously Fetched Results – Update Button
Google is testing an option for some searchers to refresh the search results, like we saw back in June of last year, but they reworded the messaging to read “showing previously fetched results” and then an update button. Here is a screen shot from Tejas Tkakkar on Twitter.
- Google’s Indexing Bug Spreads Like A Virus To Coverage Report, URL Inspection Tool & More
The Google de-indexing bug, which took about 6 days to resolve and is supposedly resolved as of last Thursday is now causing issues within Google Search Console. The coverage and enhancement reports, as well as the URL Inspection tool are all impacted according to Google.
- Pink Tesla With Wings At The GooglePlex
Here is a photo of an unusual car parked at the Google office, the GooglePlex. It is not just a Tesla but also a pink Tesla. Not just that, it has wings on it. You can even see others taking photos o
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Update: seeing this ‘only’ through my ‘contributions’ in Google maps app! @localuniv @clairecarlile @GregGifford @ItamarBlauer @krystal_taing @bright_local ð§… https://t.co/VghlqWggCK, Andy Simpson on Twitter
- Have you seen this before? We’ve noticed the ‘Create alert’ button in the Videos and News tabs in Google USA for the query [sitemap]. ð’ Is this brand new or did we just miss it? @rustybrick… https://t.co/rPvjXOIGeo, SE Ranking on Twitter
- Do you know anyone who we should get to speak at Sep #BrightonSEO event? We’re really keen to hear from new voices especially those with a really indepth and practical perspective on search. Could you point anyone you can sugge, kelvin newman on Twitter
- Google Assistant Now Showing Sponsored Link Ads for Some Travel Related Queries "Similar results are delivered through both Google Home and Google Home Hub without the sponsored links." https://t.co/jSVKKI2AYT via @bretkinsella…, Glenn Gabe on Twitter
- I couldn’t be more excited to announce that https://t.co/58xYBLE01S 2.0 is now live!!! ð The same #SEO #tools but improved, and a completely revamped UI for better usability! As always, feedback is welcome, let me know how we ca, Max Prin on Twitter
- That’ll make it impossible to see the different prices in snippets / rich results — but ultimately that’s up to you.…, John Mueller on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
- Smart speakers set to eclipse tablets globally by 2021
- 10 principles of digital accessibility for modern marketers
- Google spotted testing version of GoogleBot that can render more content
- Majority of SMBs doing SEO are in-housing
Other Great Search Stories:
- Performance industry marketing challenges, Think with Google
Industry & Business
- BrightonSEO April 2019 – Event Recap – Part 1, DeepCrawl
- BrightonSEO April 2019 – Event Recap – Part 2, DeepCrawl
- EU countries back copyright reform targeting Google, Facebook, Reuters
- Why Publishing Frequency and Content Quality Both Matter for SEO, Stone Temple
Links & Promotion Building
- How to Use the 4 Most Helpful Reports in Google Analytics, Content Marketing Institute
Local & Maps
- Police are using the Google Maps Timeline to collect location information for cases, Android Central
Mobile & Voice
- How to delete your voice recordings from Google Assistant, CNBC
- Uberall report: Voice Search Readiness, Uberall
- Google Indexes Domains That Have Not Been Registered, Bill Hartzer
- Improving Page Load Time on WordPress Websites, Go Fish Digital
- 10 Amazing Ways to Harness the Power of PPC Remarketing Campaigns, Search Engine Journal
- Google Assistant Now Showing Sponsored Link Ads for Some Travel Related Queries, Voicebot
- DuckDuckGo vs. Google: An In-Depth Search Engine Comparison, Search Engine Journal