Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Search Buzz Video Recap: Google De-Indexing Bug Fixed, Google Discover Report, Google Assistant Ads & More
This week, we saw a lot of the Google ranking tools go nuts but it is probably related to the indexing bug. Google said after 6 days of trying they finally fixed the de-indexing bug…
- Google Search Console Performance Report AMP Stories Search Appearance Filter
The same day Google launched the new Discover performance report in Google Search Console, Google announced they also now let you see your AMP Stories traffic. I have not seen any examples of AMP Stories showing up in these reports, so I cannot share any real screen shots but Google did announce it.
- Google Tests A More Modern Rendering Engine For GoogleBot
- Google Cache Date Is Old; Google Says Don’t Worry About It
There are many SEOs complaining that the cache date shown by Google is very outdated. Heck the date shown for this site is April 2nd, which is a 10 days ago. But Google’s John Mueller is telling SEO’s not to worry about it.
- Should Google Index The Entire Web & Not Cherry Pick Pages To Index?
For years and years Google has told us they don’t index all the content and URLs they know about on the web. No just because there is a directive telling them not to but because Google chooses not to index those pages because of various factors like PageRank, duplication, other quality signals. But a WebmasterWorld thread is asking, should they index the whole web?
- Ebikes At Google On Environment Day
It looks like Google had a set up for an ebike, electronic bike, vendor to show up at Google’s environmental day to sell bikes to Googlers? Here is a photo on Instagram of the event, in fact, there we
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- I can’t even post a single character anymore without it being turned into an investigation :)’…, John Mueller on Twitter
- Inspect URL in Search Console. For multiple URLs, submitting a sitemap and checking that sitemap file in the index coverage is also pretty useful.’… https://t.co/4YkUf5tH1f, John Mueller on Twitter
- Astronomers Publish First Ever Image of a Black Hole, WebmasterWorld
- GMB Categories Bug: Must Save Twice, Local Search Forum
Search Engine Land Stories:
- Aligning content and SEO for search success
- Going head to head with Google Smart Bidding: The good, the bad and the weird
- Enter the 2019 Search Engine Land Awards NOW to save $100 off registration!
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
- Google loses its chief diversity officer, TechCrunch
- USMCA: A trade framework for the digital age, Google Blog
- Google Sued Over Abuse of Search Power, Opening Path for More Claims, Wall Street Journal
Links & Promotion Building
- Creating Disavow Files using Majestic, Majestic Blog
Local & Maps
- Here’s how much Uber pays to use Google Maps, Android Authority
Mobile & Voice
- Is Bixby smarter than Google Assistant and Alexa?, PC World Australia
- Just 3.8% of Businesses Offer Correct Information in Voice Searches According to Uberall Report, Voicebot
- [Update: Filipino added] Google Assistant is now your multilingual interpreter, Android Police
- A Website Crawler for Search and Information Architecture, Distilled
- Do Small Businesses Understand SEO Best Practices in 2019?, The Manifest
- How Bing Discovery “Steals” Organic Traffic from Google Search, TL;DR SEO
- SEO analysis in eCommerce with the use of Big Data. Key ranking factors., White Dog
- The importance of discussing SEO during earnings calls, Search Metrics
- What version of Chrome is Google actually using for rendering?, DeepCrawl
- The One-Hour Guide to SEO: Technical SEO – Whiteboard Friday, Moz
- Why Debenhams needs to protect their domain asset, SISTRIX
- Announcing the 2019 NYC Google Ad Manager API Workshop, Google Ads Developer Blog
- Why digital measurement should be a priority, Think with Google
- Google Recommendations: Are they Helping or Hurting my Paid Search Strategy?, PPC Hero
- 100th Anniversary of Bauhaus, Google Doodle