Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google: Nofollow Link Attribute Helps Publishers Focus On Content
Yesterday I posted that John Mueller of Google said to a publisher that they shouldn’t worry about links and just link naturally. Then people started getting upset with Google about the nofollow link attribute and why Google has it at all. John Mueller responded that it helps some publishers simply focus on building out content, without having to worry about the other things.
- See How Google Will Show Publishers URLs For AMP Results In Search
As Google promised, they are working on a solution to show the publishers URL instead of the AMP cache URL in Google’s search results after you click on an AMP page. Yesterday Google posted a demo of how it works and how you can try it yourself.
- Google: We Fixed Web Indexing Issues With Google News Publishers
Google’s Lisa Wang said yesterday, about 12 hours ago, that they fixed the indexing issues some news publishers were experiencing. In short, news publisher’s content would not show in the web search results, for hours and sometimes days, after the content was indexed. Google says this is now resolved.
- Google Does Not Use BBB Or Other Trust Building Sites For Ranking
Google’s John Mueller confirmed yesterday in a video hangout that Google does not use the BBB, Better Business Bureaus score or reviews as well as other third-party trust sites in their ranking algorithm. So all that talk about making sure you have a good BBB score with the core updates is really completely unrelated to core search rankings.
- Google: Alt Image Attribute Is Used By Web Search But More So For Image Search
Google’s John Mueller clarified in yesterday’s webmaster hangout video that while Google does look and read the alternative image attribute (alt tag) for use on web search, it plays a small role there. It is more heavily used by Google in image search and that is the primary SEO reason to use alt image text, not for web search but for image search.
- A Smoking Google Pumpkin
I guess for Halloween, Google made this artistic smoky eyes (that is a thing?) pumpkin. They posted this photo on Instagram some time ago. The G logo is on it and there are holes throughout the pumpki
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Interested in working on Trust & Safety jobs at Google? Check out our open jobs in EMEA: https://t.co/2WM9wwGkEL. Americas: https://t.co/goVSjPLhBG #iworkforgoogle India: https://t.co/ZoXJA3Pcvv Singapore and Tokyo: https:, Juan Felipe RincÃ<<³n on Twitter
- Hmm a bug with GSC? #SEO https://t.co/P5bGgFwc3f” /, Eric Wu on Twitter
- Sure, you can redirect IP address requests (check Google search for a way to do it on your server), as well as using the rel-canonical.’… https://t.co/J4P0R8DQww, John Mueller on Twitter
- Teespring Merch International Expansion, YouTube Help
Search Engine Land Stories:
- Bing Ads’ Competition Tab offers new insights, recommendations
- Google releases improved GMB app: Now much more than a local listings management tool
- Can you trust website design best practices?
- A new customer experience, how AI is changing marketing
Other Great Search Stories:
- 2 Steps to Maximize Your Investment in Google Marketing Platform, E-Nor
- UTM Parameters: Become a Google Analytics Expert, Engenius
Industry & Business
- Google’s “Smart City” in Toronto Faces New Resistance, theintercept.com
- Google’s San Jose Campus Triggers Lawsuit Over Deal’s Secrecy, Bloomberg
- Nigerian firm takes blame for routing Google traffic through China, Reuters
Local & Maps
- Google Beacon Platform: Proximity marketing is ready to take off in 2019, Vertical Leap
- Say hello to the new Google My Business app, and say hello to your next customer, Google Blog
Mobile & Voice
- SEO Audits and Tools: The Good, The Better and The Best, BruceClay
- 3 Social Media Strategies You Can Use to Boost Your SEO, Search Engine Journal
- Keyword Cannibalization: How To Identify It, How To Fix It!, RankRanger
- What Do You Do When You Lose Organic Traffic to Google SERP Features?, Moz
- Improve your Google Shopping Management with Supplemental Feeds, Seer Interactive
- Easy Guide To Start A Google Display Network, Bitvero
- Google’s Change to Exact Match Was Big, But Was it Actually Bad? [DATA], WordStream
- How to Target and Exclude Mobile Apps in Google Ads, PPC Hero
- Launching Ad Monetization for AMP stories, Accelerated Mobile Pages Project
- What Works & What Doesn’t When Automating Ad Copy & Keywords, WordStream
- What You Need to Know About Google’s New Search Ad Position Metrics, Seer Interactive