Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google Search Algorithm Update Hits Friday November 30th?
I was going to cover the chatter and signals of a Google update this past Friday on Friday but when the Search Engine Land spectacle touched down, I decided to wait it out and see how things settle over the weekend. There are still strong signs both in terms of community chatter and tracking tools around a Friday, November 30th update.
- Google “Sold Here” In Local Pack Results
Google seems to have launched a new feature in the local pack named “sold here.” It shows, based on your query, if that product is sold in the store, directly in the local pack. This roll out was spotted by Sergey Alakov but was seen also in early November.
- Official: Google Sticky Round Search Bar Header Is Live
After several months of ongoing testing, Google has officially launched the new desktop search results interface where the search bar header is rounded and sticks to the top. This went live Friday night, a Google spokesperson confirmed it for us at Search Engine Land.
- Google 2018 Holiday Decorations For Hanukkah, Christmas & Kwanzaa Now Live
Google has dressed up their search results page for the holiday season. All you need to do is search for holiday related searches; such as [christmas],[chanukah], and [kwanzaa]. Here are screen shots of the mobile version of each.
- 15 Years Covering The Search Industry
15 years ago today was the first time I wrote a blog post on this site, the Search Engine Roundtable. Since then I have continued to write daily, almost without any time off, every single day of the work week. It is a passion I had no clue would last for 15 years, but I continue to love doing on a daily basis.
- Google Search Hanukkah Decorations For 2018
Google has posted their Hanukkah or Chanukah decorations for the holiday season. Why they also posted the Christmas and Kwanzaa decorations as well, but since Chanukah starts in less than 24 hours – I am sharing these decorations now.
- Double Rainbow At Google Again
4 years ago we shared a photo of a double rainbow at the Google offices in Mountain View, California. It took another 4 years but here are new photos of another double rainbow from last Thursday at t
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Search Console Notice – New Coverage issue detected for site, WebmasterWorld
- E.U. Antitrust Regulator Asks Rivals If Google Unfairly Demotes Search Competitors, WebmasterWorld
- Microsoft Equals Apple as the World’s Most Valuable Company: $850 bill, WebmasterWorld
- Using an old site with Solid Historic Link Profile?, WebmasterWorld
- With mobile-first indexing, if your mobile page is just “download our app” then that’s all we’d index for search — which generally isn’t that great.’… https://t.co/ne2DJ3SleQ, John Mueller on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
- Google launches Q&A structured data for Question & Answer pages
- The state of local SEO — get industry insights for 2019
- Amazon product ads evolution: A harbinger of Amazon local advertising?
- Google’s local pack adds ‘sold here’ label on query match
- Google Map’s tracking problems keep piling up
- Report: EU antitrust unit exploring broader local search complaint against Google
- Google officially rolling out new search bar with sticky header, rounded search bar
- Quora unveils new Promoted Answers ad unit
- Wanted: Nominations for this year’s ‘Naughty & Nice’ list
Other Great Search Stories:
- ClickInsight’s Data Viz Gallery, ClickInsight
- Google Analytics Scope: Why Metrics & Dimensions Matter, Seer Interactive
Industry & Business
- Does Google harm local search rivals? EU antitrust regulators ask, Reuters
- The Friendship That Made Google Huge, The New Yorker
Local & Maps
- Google Rolls Out "Sold Here" to Local Search Results, Sergey Alakov
- Reserve With Google – Which Categories & Services Are Eligible?, Mike Blumenthal
- Google Maps update ensures Assistant stays out of the way, Engadget
Mobile & Voice
- Beware when buying third-party Google Assistant speakers and Smart Displays, updates and features are not equal, Android Police
- Navigation-optimized Google Assistant rolling out in Google Maps for Android, 9to5Google
- WordPress 5.0 RCs, Gutenberg related news and food for thought!, Yoast
- 2018 Ranking Factors Report Emphasizes GMB and Reviews, Street Fight
- 7 Search Ranking Factors Analyzed: A Follow-Up Study, Moz
- November 27, 2018 – Google Help Hangout Notes, Marie Haynes Consulting
- Organic Discovery SERPs vs. Pitchable SERPs, Siege Media
- Page Speed for SEO: Here’s Why It Maters, Stone Temple
- Server Log Analysis, SEMRush Log File Analysis Tool, Tutorial, Craig Campbell
- Zero-Result SERPS Return & SERP Features In Flux, RankRanger
- Upcoming enhancements to the Bing Partner Program, Bing Ads Blog